weldinguide.com

all about welding

NDTs on Ball Valve as per API 6D

NDTs on Ball Valve as per API 6D

Postby alvaro » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Could anyone explain me what type of NDTs are mandatory for welded Ball Valve that manufactured as per API 6D?
Thanks,
Alvaro
alvaro

Re: NDTs on Ball Valve as per API 6D

Postby Ballbearing » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Alvaro,
The only mandatory testing is impacts and hardness.
Impacts if the design temperature is less than -29 degree C.
Hardness only if required by NACE MR0175.
All other testing is supplementary (Annex B) and is limited to what is agreed between purchaser and manufacturer.
Cheers,
BB
Ballbearing

Postby wefel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Ballbearing,

Please let me disagree with you since regarding testing requirements the API 6D specifies some more mandatory tests like the pressure tests in section 11 (for ball valves: hydrostatic shell test as per section 11.3 and hydrostatic seat test as per section 11.4).

Alvaro,

Regarding NDEs please have a look at API 6D / Annex A / Section A1 that clarifies: "This annex specifies the requirements for non-destructive examination (NDE) that shall be performed by the manufacturer if specified by the purchaser". In other words API 6D doesn't specify mandatory NDEs except if the customer requires specific NDEs to be performed then they shall be performed as per Annex A. if for example customer needs UT (ultrasonic test) on full penetration welds, it shall be carried out in accordance with ASME V, Article 4 and the acceptance criteria shall be in accordance with ASME VIII-1, Appendix 12 as specified in Annex A / section A.12.

Hope this help,
wefel
wefel

Postby Ballbearing » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:59 am

Wefel,
Since when did pressure tests (hydrostatic or pneumatic) fall under NDT (or NDE) ?
Regards,
BB
Ballbearing

Postby wefel » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi Ballbearing,
The original query posted by Alvaro had to do only with NDTs but saying that the only mandatory testing is impacts and hardness and all other testing is supplementary as per Annex B, and taking into consideration that Annex B specifies among others some pressure tests, it is like saying that no mandatory pressure tests are specified by API 6D (please correct me if I am wrong). So, even though I didn't intend to refer the mandatory pressure tests which are specified by API 6D, after your post, I mentioned them so as to clarify that issue.
Please give us your opinion
Thanks,
Wefel
wefel

Return to NDT, inspection & testing