weldinguide.com

all about welding

Welders Qualification

Welders Qualification

Postby laurudolphy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Dear experts,

I have a WPS for combined processes, SMAW for root/hot and FCAW for fill/cap. Using this WPS I would like to qualify new welders on pipe in 6GR position. I have the below different scenarios and I would very much appreciate if you can share your opinion on the subject and if possible with relevant code references to substantiate your views.

1. Welder "A" welds the root/hot and continues all the way to fill/cap with SMAW. Is it acceptable?

2. FCAW qualified welder "A" welds the root/hot with SMAW and then welds fill/cap with FCAW. Assuming the test results are acceptable, is the welder "A" qualified to weld using SMAW process only?

3. Welder "A" welds the root/hot with SMAW and then welds fill/cap with FCAW. Is the welder qualified for both processes separately?

4. Previously qualified welder "B" welds the root/hot with SMAW and then the new welder "A" welds fill/cap with FCAW. Assuming the test results are acceptable, is welder "A" qualified for fill/cap with FCAW?

5. Welder "A" welds the root/hot with SMAW and welder "C" welds the fill/cap with FCAW. Can I qualify both welders for the respective processes they welded?

Thanks in advance,
Laurudolphy
laurudolphy

Re: Welders Qualification

Postby Ballbearing » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:30 am

Is this AWS D1.1 ?
Ballbearing

Postby laurudolphy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:24 am

Hi Ballbearing,

Yes, it is AWS D1.1
laurudolphy

Postby claudconger » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:23 am

No response on this valuable post :mrgreen:
claudconger

Postby aaronrodg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 am

claudconger wrote:No response on this valuable post :mrgreen:

Exactly, i think the author is not interested any more and may be he wants to end the discussion.
aaronrodg

Return to Structural welding