weldinguide.com

all about welding

Why 2G + 5G qualifies for 6G position?

Why 2G + 5G qualifies for 6G position?

Postby sojitraanil » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Dear all,
For welder and welding operator qualification with respect to welding position, as per the Table 4.10 of AWS D1.1, 2G + 5G welding positions qualify for all welding positions and thus including the 6G welding position even though by definition the 6G doesn't include the 2G position. So, why is the 2G involved in the qualification of 6G?
Please let me know in detail.
sojitraanil

Re: Why 2G + 5G qualifies for 6G position?

Postby wefel » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:02 pm

Sojitraanil wrote:by definition the 6G doesn't include the 2G position

Dear Sojitraanil,
Please let me disagree with the above statement since the 6G position actually includes the 2G position. As per Figures 4.1 and 4.2 of the AWS D1.1 the welding positions are: Flat, Horizontal, Overhead, Vertical. As per Figures 4.3 and 4.4 the 2G position is the Horizontal position and as per Figure 4.4 the 6G position is a multiple welding test position where at this case multiple means that it includes all the positions (Flat, Horizontal, Overhead, Vertical) and hence the 6G position includes the Horizontal position that is the 2G. So, 2G + 5G qualify for 6G because:
2G = Horizontal
5G = Flat, Vertical, Overhead (Figure 4.4)
6G = Flat, Horizontal, Overhead, Vertical
2G + 5G = (Horizontal) + (Flat, Vertical, Overhead) => 2G + 5G = 6G
Hope this helps
regards,
Wefel
wefel

Postby Logosweld » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:45 am

The 2G welding certification position is a plate in the horizontal position that is beveled. This position is a little harder than the 1G test but by passing it you do not need to take the 1G test. This one test covers the 1G and 2G positions.

The 5G pipe welding certification position is a pipe welding in the horizontal position that is fixed and cannot be moved. The welding done is overhead, vertical, and flat with a full transition of all of those positions. This position comes in two travel directions. The first is a vertical up travel and that is the most commonly used progression. The second is vertical down progression and this is commonly used for pipe line welder qualification.

Then there is the 6G pipe welding certification. This is a pipe that is in standing on a 45 degree angle and cannot be moved. This test incorporates all of the positions. What makes this position so hard is there is an easy side and a hard side. This all depends if you are right handed or left handed and the welding processes being used. This one test will qualify the welder to weld pipe and plate in all positions. This is the hardest of all welding positions and the test typically given for the higher paying jobs. If you need to get one welding certification this is the position to go for!
Logosweld

Postby claudconger » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:29 am

Write a WPS for 6G so he can use it for welder qualification.
Cannot think of any other reason why you would want a 6G WPS - don't find too many 45% degree joints in production, 6G position is a test position, not a production position, same as all 'X'G positions. How would you qualify a weld that was outside the given criteria as per QW-461.1?

I haven't a clue what you are talking about and I am quite aware that 6G is not a production position - that is why I stated 45% degree position for production.
You keep talking about welder qualification - this post has nothing to do with welder qualification.

Clients inspector is telling Nalla he can't write a 6G WPS using a 5G PQR (or 2G but I am leaving that one out).
A 6G WPS can be written off a 1G PQR - position is irrelevant unless it is for an impact tested application and as Nalla has performed impact testing on both his PQRs I am "assuming" that is what he requires.
Then, as it is a Supplementary Essential Variable the vertical requirement comes in to play.
A 2G PQR can be used to write a 6G WPS for non impact tested applications.
A 2G PQR cannot be used to write a 6G WPS for impact tested applications.
A 5G PQR can be used to write a 6G WPS for both applications.
claudconger

Return to Structural welding