weldinguide.com

all about welding

Welder qualification requirement

Welder qualification requirement

Postby laurudolphy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:37 am

Dear Friends.

We have a client specification which says that "All welders/welding machine operators shall be qualified by a Third Party Inspection Agency".

The practice that we presently follow is that we qualify our welders in-house. So, some times we request a Third Party Inspector (ABS, DNV, etc) to witness the performance of welding and then we send out the test coupons to a laboratory for NDT/DT tests. Finally we prepare the welder qualification certificate that is signed by us and reviewed by TPI.

My query is: do we fulfill client's requirement if we submit the certificates that we have prepared for our welders?

Appreciate your opinion in this regard.
laurudolphy

Re: Welder qualification requirement

Postby Ballbearing » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:24 am

laurudolphy,
As it is a client requirement and not a code requirement the only one who can give you a definitive answer is the client.
Having said that, when third party approval is required it is usual for the TPI to witness the actual welding and then sign/stamp the certs as well.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
BB
Ballbearing

Postby laurudolphy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:53 am

hi, BB,
Thanks for the reply.
Apologies, I had not quoted the requirement exactly as per specs which is as follows?

All Welders/Welding machine Operators shall be QUALIFIED by a Company approved Third Party Inspection Agency"

While our method of qualifying the welders is mentioned below, My question again is Do we fulfill the Clients Requirement when we submit the welders certificates who are tested in-house and witnessed by TPI Surveyor.

My interpretation is in the present circumstances, It is we as a Fabricator who is qualifying the Welders, whether a TPI Witnesses it or Not. But now the Client wants the welders to be qualified by a Company Approved TPI Agency. In this case "Company Approved" can mean the TPI Agency has to be approved by the Fabricating Company, or the Company that has awarded the subcontract to us and the term COMPANY is very vague.

Please correct me.
laurudolphy

Postby Ballbearing » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:23 pm

laurudolphy,
Company generally refers to the client - the specifications should state who the "Company" is.
If that is the case you need to submit the name of your TPI to the Company to have them approved prior to performing your welder qualifications.
Cheers,
BB
Ballbearing

Postby claudconger » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:12 am

Welder and welding procedure approval and certification have caused much debate over many years. There are several national and international Standards in existence that cover this activity (e.g. ISO, EN, ASME and AWS) but the main source of confusion centres on the body (or person) that is responsible for witnessing the testing and issuing of any resulting certificates.

The European Standard EN 287 Part 1 Steels and the international standard ISO 9606 Part 2 Aluminium refer to an 'Examiner or Examining Body'. These are defined both in EN 287 and EN ISO 9606 as follows:

Examiner is defined as 'a person who has been appointed to verify compliance with the applicable standard'.
Examining Body is defined as 'an organisation that has been appointed to verify compliance with the applicable standard'.
claudconger

Postby claudconger » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:16 am

laurudolphy wrote:Dear Friends.

We have a client specification which says that "All welders/welding machine operators shall be qualified by a Third Party Inspection Agency".

The practice that we presently follow is that we qualify our welders in-house. So, some times we request a Third Party Inspector (ABS, DNV, etc) to witness the performance of welding and then we send out the test coupons to a laboratory for NDT/DT tests. Finally we prepare the welder qualification certificate that is signed by us and reviewed by TPI.

My query is: do we fulfill client's requirement if we submit the certificates that we have prepared for our welders?

Appreciate your opinion in this regard.

So what you did?
claudconger

Return to Structural welding