weldinguide.com

all about welding

Thickness of member - T Joint

Thickness of member - T Joint

Postby laurudolphy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:56 am

Dear experts.

Code AWS D1.1

I have a spreader beam to be welded, where there is a 100 mm plate slotted into a 600 mm pipe and passes thru the diameter of pipe on both sides. It is single bevel full penetration weld, bevel is on the pipe. Thickness of pipe is 35 mm. The client spec is PWHT to be done where the thickness exceeds 100 mm.

When the thickness of the groove is 35 mm and it is being welded to a 100 mm plate in a so called T-Joint configuration, is PWHT to be done as per client requirement? I believe the thickness is 35 mm and this is the abutting member, so PWHT is not required. While I wait for your opinion and suggestion, I am still preparing the documents in case the client does not accept my contention and says that PWHT is to be done.

If the client insist on PWHT being done, I have a WPS with FCAW process, T=16 to 50.8 mm, D=600 mm and above, with backing or back gouging, PWHT done. Can I use this WPS? The point of concern to me is that even this WPS is with PWHT, I am not sure how to weld the groove with CJP with FCAW when back gouging is essential, considering the diameter of the pipe, unless I have the client to agree on a backing strip, while this is a purely fabrication method, can I still use this WPS given the fact that the thickness range is max 50.8, where as in the production the groove is on 35 mm thick and welded to a 100 mm plate in a T-Joint configuration.

But if the client does agree that the thickness to be considered is the groove thickness and PWHT is not required, then I have another WPS which is SMAW+FCAW without back gouging, and all things are within the range. So, I am ready with 2 wps for the above job. Just waiting for the client to come back.

Can you please advise me with some references.

In short if I were to sum it:
Is the thickness range considered at the web (where the weld is made) or the flange? Or, either for the web or for the flange, the higher and lower thicknesses should fall within the range of the wps thickness, irrespective of where the welding is done?

Thanks in advance,

laurudolphy
laurudolphy

Return to Structural welding