weldinguide.com

all about welding

Does butt joint qualify for branch joint, API 1104

Does butt joint qualify for branch joint, API 1104

Postby smilepls » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:34 am

Dear all,

As per API 1104,

1) What is the effect of change from butt joint to branch joint for Procedure qualification and Welder qualification? Is that essential variable for both of them?
2) If I have qualified a procedure for 6G butt "V" joint, can I use it for branch single bevel joint?
3) If I have qualified a welder for 6G butt "V" joint, can I use it for branch single bevel joint?
please answer in detail

regards
smilepls

Re: Does butt joint qualify for branch joint, API 1104

Postby mawsamit » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Supposing your reference is the section 5 (qualification of welding procedures for welds containing filler metal additives):

What is the effect of change from butt joint to branch joint for Procedure qualification and Welder qualification? Is that essential variable for both of them?
Please go through sections 5.4, 6.2 and 6.3 (essential variables for procedure and welder qualifications) from which it is made clear that the joint type is not an essential variable neither for procedure nor for welder qualification. So, in case of change from butt joint to branch joint you can use the same procedure and welder qualifications provided that all other essential variables apply.

If I have qualified a procedure for 6G butt "V" joint, can I use it for branch single bevel joint?
Please note that the joint design is essential variable for procedure qualification (5.4.2.3) and thus a change from "single-V" to "single-bevel" requires requalification of procedure.

If I have qualified a welder for 6G butt "V" joint, can I use it for branch single bevel joint?
If the welder has been qualified as per section 6.2 (single qualification) then the joint design is essential variable for welder qualification (6.2.2 g) and thus a change from "single-V" to "single-bevel" requires requalification of welder. Instead if the welder has been qualified as per section 6.3 (multiple qualification), then the joint design is non essential variable for welder qualification and thus a change from "single-V" to "single-bevel" doesn't require requalification of welder.
mawsamit

Postby mohd » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:49 pm

dear mawsamit,

respectfully I disagree with you about V bevel to single bevel requalification.

API 1104 code says major joint changes like a change from V bevel to U bevel.
So, either for procedure or for welder in case of change from V bevel to single or double V requalification isn't required but a change from V bevel to J or U bevel requires requalification.

We can use for stub in branch connection single bevel.

regards
mohd.
mohd

Postby mawsamit » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:33 am

Dear Mohd,
With all of my respect as well, please let me insist on my aspect since according to the code a major change in joint design considered to be a change from one type to another type of joint design and only minor changes in the angle of bevel or the land of the welding groove are not considered to be major changes in joint design (par. 5.4.2.3). Regarding different types of joint design they are "square", "single bevel", "double bevel", etc, as shown in the attached file.
Thanks
Attachments
weld joint design.GIF
weld joint design.GIF (4.85 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
mawsamit

Postby shinde.chetan71 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Can you give me wps and pqr & wqr for branch on connection
shinde.chetan71

Postby Ballbearing » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:56 am

Sorry for the late response.
I agree totally with mawsamits comments.
Degree of difficulty between a straight single V butt weld and a single bevel branch weld is immense.
That is why there are single and multiple qualifications for welders.
As for the WPS - Change from V groove to U groove is used only as an example, Single V and Single Bevel are different joint designs as noted previously and require separate qualification.
Cheers,
BB
Ballbearing

Return to Pipelines and related facilities welding