weldinguide.com

all about welding

Weldolet welding

Weldolet welding

Postby mohd » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Dear all,
Design Code: B31.4 and Welding code: API 1104.

I have WPS API 5L X52 Dia=30'' Thk=12.7 mm, Processes GTAW+SMAW (4 mm+8.7 mm), qualified with impact test.

Can I weld 3/4'' Sch160 corrosion coupon (weldolet Set On) in material A105N with this WPS?
Can I weld 2'' Sch160 corrosion coupon (weldolet Set On) in material A105N with this WPS?

How to established WPS/WQT criteria for this welding if different WPS need?

regards,
mohd
mohd

Re: Weldolet welding

Postby mawsamit » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:10 am

Dear Mohd,
The WPS doesn't make sense. You had to give us the PQR so as to verify whether it could support the required weldings of weldolets. Supposing that the PQR has been performed as specified by the given WPS with single V groove as well as you had issued welder qualification based on that PQR, please note that you cannot weld those weldolets using the existing procedure and welder qualifications since regarding PQR, it has been performed using single V groove while the production weldings call for single bevel (API 1104 clause 5.4.2.3, joint design is essential variable for procedure qualification). As for the welder's qualification, it cannot be used for the required weldings not only for the same reason as for the procedure qualification (API 1104 clause 6.2.2 g) but also because it has been performed on 30" pipe that belongs to group 3 (API 1104 clause 6.2.2 d) while you are to weld diameters 3/4" and 2" that belong to group 1 and 2 respectively (outside diameter group is essential variable for welder qualification). So, you shall prepare new procedure and welder qualifications for the required production weldings. I suggest you use pipe 6" with thickness 6.4 mm in material that belongs to group 2 (for example API 5L X46) and perform butt-welding with single bevel and the same pipe to be welded on the run pipe of production weldings branch-on-pipe connection. So, the first test specimen can qualify for the weldings (API 1104 clauses 5.4.2, 5.6) and both of them together for the welder (API 1104 clause 6.3, multiple qualification).
regards
mawsamit
mawsamit

Postby Ballbearing » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:33 am

mawsamit,
You note a 6" coupon (Group 2 as per 6.2.2 (D)) for new PQR.
Would you not need a PQR for Group 1 & 2 ? (less than 60.3 mm OD and also greater than or equal to 60.3 mm OD)
Regards,
BB
Ballbearing

Postby mawsamit » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:07 am

Ballbearing,
The outside diameter of pipe isn't an essential variable for the procedure (please have a look through clause 5.4.2). The reason that I have suggested a 6" test coupon is that it can qualify for the production weldings as well as in combination with the other test coupon (6" pipe branch-on connection on the run pipe of production weldings) they qualify for the welder to perform the production weldings. These test coupons have suggested by me as an example and of course there are a lot of possible test coupons that qualify for procedure and welder in this regard.
regards
mawsamit
mawsamit

Postby Ballbearing » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 am

mawsamit,
You are correct, I forgot about diameter being non-essential.
If Mohd's welders have already passed the butt weld qualification would you agree a 2" branch welded onto a 6" pipe would give multiple qualification as per the second part of 6.3.2 and be sufficient to cover the required weldolets ?

A welder who has successfully completed the butt-weld and branch
connection requirements of 6.3.1 on pipe with an outside
diameter less than 12.750 in. (323.9 mm) shall be qualified to
weld in all positions; on all wall thicknesses, joint designs,
and fittings; and on all pipe outside diameters less than or
equal to the outside diameter used by the welder in the qualification
tests.

Cheers,
BB
Ballbearing

Postby mawsamit » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Ballbearing,
I could not agree with this proposal since the clause 6.3.1 doesn't permit the branch pipe diameter to be less than 6.625 in. (168.3 mm). That's the reason I have suggested the qualification to be done using pipe 6" which qualifies for all pipe outside diameters less than or equal to 6" as per clause 6.3.2. So, as per clauses 6.3.1 and 6.3.2 regarding outside diameter (OD) qualification there are two cases

1. OD >= 12.750 in. (323.9 mm), it qualifies for all pipe diameters
    2. 6.625 in. (168.3 mm) =< OD < 12.750 in. (323.9 mm), it qualifies for pipe diameter less than or equal to the outside diameter used by the welder in the qualification tests.
Could you please let us have your comments
regards
mawsamit
mawsamit

Postby mohd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:53 pm

dear one,

I agree with Mr Ballbearing.

Please see the attachment for more details.

regards,
mohd
Attachments
2008-v13-iss2.pdf
(92.69 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
mohd

Postby mawsamit » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Dear Mohd,

The attached file has nothing to do with your original post since it is for weldings under the scope of ASME IX or ASME B31.3. You told that the welding code of your project is the API 1104.

regards
mawsamit
mawsamit

Postby mohd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:32 pm

dear Mr mawsamit,

My last post was a misinterpretation.
We have already planned to qualify using pipe 6'' ASTM A 106 Gr B as you have suggested with your first post.

regards,
mohd
mohd

Postby nomibucha » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:56 am

Well To be fully welded out plus a fillet of @ 6mm to reduce the stress concentration factor at the bottom toe.
nomibucha

Postby Logosweld » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:15 pm

mawsamit wrote:Dear Mohd,
The WPS doesn't make sense. You had to give us the PQR so as to verify whether it could support the required weldings of weldolets. Supposing that the PQR has been performed as specified by the given WPS with single V groove as well as you had issued welder qualification based on that PQR, please note that you cannot weld those weldolets using the existing procedure and welder qualifications since regarding PQR, it has been performed using single V groove while the production weldings call for single bevel (API 1104 clause 5.4.2.3, joint design is essential variable for procedure qualification). As for the welder's qualification, it cannot be used for the required weldings not only for the same reason as for the procedure qualification (API 1104 clause 6.2.2 g) but also because it has been performed on 30" pipe that belongs to group 3 (API 1104 clause 6.2.2 d) while you are to weld diameters 3/4" and 2" that belong to group 1 and 2 respectively (outside diameter group is essential variable for welder qualification). So, you shall prepare new procedure and welder qualifications for the required production weldings. I suggest you use pipe 6" with thickness 6.4 mm in material that belongs to group 2 (for example API 5L X46) and perform butt-welding with single bevel and the same pipe to be welded on the run pipe of production weldings branch-on-pipe connection. So, the first test specimen can qualify for the weldings (API 1104 clauses 5.4.2, 5.6) and both of them together for the welder (API 1104 clause 6.3, multiple qualification).
regards
mawsamit

that's good one knowledge containing post
Logosweld

Postby Logosweld » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:30 pm

Weldolet is the most common of all branch connections, and is welded onto the outlet pipe. The ends are bevelled to facilitate this process, and therefore the weldolet is considered a butt-weld fitting. Weldolet's are designed to minimize stress concentrations and provide integral reinforcement
Logosweld

Postby DonaldE » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:38 pm

hey. Weldolet is the most common of all branch connections, and is welded onto the outlet pipe. The ends are bevelled to facilitate this process, and therefore the weldolet is considered a butt-weld fitting. Weldolet's are designed to minimize stress concentrations and provide integral reinforcement.
DonaldE

Return to Pipelines and related facilities welding