weldinguide.com

all about welding

Qualification of two welders on the same weld

Qualification of two welders on the same weld

Postby alvaro » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Could you please let me know if I can qualify two welders as per ASME IX using one circumferential weld by welding half-circumference each of them?
alvaro

Re: Qualification of two welders on the same weld

Postby Ballbearing » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Alvaro,
No - see QW 304.1.

If you have a 6G coupon one side is easier (welding forehand) and one side is harder (backhand) unless the welder is ambidextrous.
If you were allowed to weld half the circumference each the test would not be a true test as one welder would have the easy side, one welder would have the hard side.
Cheers,
BB
Ballbearing

Postby wefel » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Ballbearing,
Please let me say that QW-304.1 doesn't permit the qualification of welder by welding half-pipe (or may less) only when it is for 5G, 6G or special positions. Otherwise, a minimum of 150 mm length of the first production weld made by the welder may be enough for his qualification. Such a practice is used for qualification by volumetric NDE on first production weld. Instead, if it is for volumetric NDE or mechanical tests on test coupon then the length that is examined shall include the entire weld circumference as specified in QW-302.2 and it is made clear by QW-463.2 (d) to (g).
wefel

Postby Logosweld » Wed May 28, 2014 2:54 pm

sounds good well asked topic about the qualification of two welders on the same weld....total depends on the qualification of the welders
Logosweld

Return to Pressure vessel, boiler & valve welding